Thursday, June 28, 2007

Caffé Cibrèo & a Rare Meme


I tend not to participate in memes, and I hope this hasn’t ever offended anyone. They don’t usually work with the format of my site. But when the lovely Foodette at Restaurant Review World tagged me for the Lucky Seven meme, she caught me at a fairly introspective moment, and I was intrigued.

The rules are to state 7 random facts or habits about oneself, and to then tag 7 other bloggers to do the same. I won’t tag anyone specific here, as I'd hate you to feel obligated (except maybe you, Naptime Writer - we all know how you love a good list). I will say, though, that I’d be interested in hearing 7 random facts about any of you, because I think food bloggers are about as interesting a bunch as you're likely to meet. So in a way, I tag you all. Let me know if you’re inspired to write your own list, so I can include a link to it below. (And watch the anarchy start to rain down on meme-land. The fair Foodette’s wishing she’d never heard of figs, olives, or wine…)

Now back to that introspective moment. When I’m in Florence, I love to have my breakfast at Caffé Cibrèo. It’s a spot a friend who spends a lot of time in that city introduced me to, and it’s a heavenly place to start the day. Friendly waiters, plenty of locals, fabulous Florentine chef Fabio Picchi at the helm, and, best of all, a location right on the outskirts of Piazza Lorenzo Ghiberti – home to the Mercato Sant’Ambrogio.

Sitting at breakfast and watching Florentines stop in for a caffé on their way to work while nonnas (grandmothers) and their bambini sit at the outdoor tables and share a cornetto con marmellata (jam-filled croissant) before heading over to the market makes for a lovely morning. I usually get cappuccino and a panino con crudo (a slightly sweet roll, in this case, filled with a single slice of prosciutto).



I should add that my list in no way holds true for someone who has specific health problems or dietary restrictions – I’ve been there, and I respect the discipline it takes to manage such challenges! And so, without further ado, here’s a list of my thoughts and culinary musings as they were that morning in Firenze:


1) I’m vaguely embarrassed by how much I miss my husband when I travel for work.

2) It’s a shame that families are so spread out these days. A loving nonna is irreplacable, and my Granny was the greatest.

3) I honestly believe that if we took a 2 or 3 hour pausa in the middle of every day to eat a proper meal, chat with friends, and take a wee nap, we’d be a healthier, more likable, and, yes, more productive people.

4) I think the strange, outdated American obsession with having all of the food groups represented at each meal is partly why we eat too much. And frankly, aren't we all capable of remembering what we ate at lunch and balancing it later on at dinner?

5) On this particular morning, I heard an American student order a “decaf coffee with skim milk on the side.” After she’d left, the waiter informed me that at Cibreo they call this a “why bother?” Agreed.

6) Despite eating and drinking heroic amounts whenever I’m on a research trip to the Mediterranean, I always lose weight. Peculiar indeed considering that, as you well know, I eat mostly local, seasonal foods at home.

7) Bread, prosciutto, and whole milk don’t make you fat. Processed bread, prosciutto, and milk made from flour drenched in pesticides and pigs and cows souped up with hormones do though.

Caffé Cibrèo
Via A. Del Verrocchio, 5 r
Tel. 055 234 58 53


Now let me know if you should feel inspired to write a list of your own, and I'll include a link to it here. And thank you Foodette for thinking of me.
Naptime Writer
The Leftover Queen
The Traveling McMahans
Trap Door

15 comments:

Joanne Rendell said...

indeed, i love a good list and now i'm all meme-excited. just have to thing of 7 interesting things...

p.s. i so agree with no. 3

Figs Olives Wine said...

I knew you'd like the sound of this - you are the queen of lists! Can't wait to see what you write, and let me know if you come up with a stratagem for introducing a pausa into the NYC work day...

foodette said...

Thanks for participating! I really liked your last one - completely how I feel, as must be obvious from my list. And I'd also like to agree with the waiter - there is no point in decaf coffee, or non-alcoholic beer, for that matter.

Anonymous said...

That breakfast looks heavenly, and I'm with you on the "why bother" too!

Figs Olives Wine said...

Hi Foodette - Sing it sister, and thanks again!

Hi anonymous - It's a great expression isn't it? I almost said it out loud today when I heard someone order the same. I think I need some filter pills....

Anonymous said...

Love those Italian guys having coffee. You've got an eye for Italian men, don't you?

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

I really loved your 7 random things. They were very telling. I feel like I "know" you so much better now! And I really agree with pretty much everything you stated!Isn't it weird how you can eat more in Europe and more carbs and still loose weight while eating less "bad" at home and not having that same outcome? What in the world is with that!? ;)
I think you hit the nail on the head!

Figs Olives Wine said...

Well, anonymous, I did marry one (Sicilian-American, that is), so I guess I must have something of a penchant...

Jenn, how lovely you are! I hope you'll do the meme at some point. I'd love to learn 7 things about you too!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Hey Amanda - I actually think I did do it a while ago but it had a foodie theme - here is the link

http://www.leftoverqueen.com/2007/05/17/tagged-7-random-foodie-facts/

or was it this one?

http://www.leftoverqueen.com/2007/04/13/my-first-meme-foodie/#more-43

Figs Olives Wine said...

Thanks Jenn. So cool to learn you were on a reservation! I'd love to hear more about that. I linked to your meme above.

Dana said...

Wow! You've shared a revelation that this phenomenon of eating with no consequences in the Mediterranean wasn't just me. I just came back from three weeks of eating as much as I possibly could in Italy, Greece, Turkey and France and by all reasonable laws of physics should be in a bigger pant size. I wonder why but maybe let's not look a gift horse ...

Dana said...

I posted seven things about being back from a trip ...
http://travelingmcmahans.wordpress.com/2007/07/10/seven-things-about-being-back-from-a-trip/

Figs Olives Wine said...

Hi Dana! Isn't it incredible? If only it lasted...

Posted your link by the way!

mk99 said...

Thanks for making me look inward at my food habits and palette maturity. It, as well as reading great food blogs such as yours, inspires me to keep on this adventurous road. Who knows where it will me?

Figs Olives Wine said...

Hi mk99, and thank you so much for the kind words. Learning about someone's palate - including ones own - can be an incredible way to get to know them! You're so right.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...