Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Blogging for Positive Change


I was amazed yesterday when Charlotte Hume of The Great Big Vegetable Challenge in London nominated me for a Bloggers for Positive Global Change award. The award was originally created by Climate of Our Future to recognize bloggers whose work helps to “form a collective consciousness and wisdom that will help move our world in a positive direction.”

With her commitment to instilling a love of fresh produce and a sense of comfort, adventure, and fun at the table in the next generation, I think Charlotte exemplifies the priorities the award celebrates. And with that in mind, here are my nominees in no particular order:

1. Baking for Britain - Anna in London celebrates and documents the traditional baking recipes of Britain. In the process, she protects the regional integrity of British baking. Without people like Anna and my next nominee, so much might be lost.

2. 18th Century Cuisine - Carolyn Smith-Kizer in the Midwest explores the food of 18th century France before foreign cultural influences had affected the cuisine too deeply. In the process, her work preserves recipes and their roots for the rest of us.

3. Winos and Foodies - Barbara Harris of Auckland, New Zealand organized the Taste of Yellow event this past May to raise awareness for LiveSTRONG Day, and food bloggers across the globe responded en masse.

My last nominee counts as 2:
4 & 5. Ilva of the Tuscan Lucullian Delights and Joanna of the British Joanna’s Food run The Heart of the Matter – Eating for Life, a monthly event which announces a theme and urges food bloggers to create heart-healthy recipes using the chosen ingredient. The result? A blog full of recipes useful for anyone living with or trying to prevent heart disease.

Thank you for your kind words, Charlotte, and thanks to you as well as to Anna, Carolyn, Barbara, Ilva, and Joanna for your wonderful work and food!

Should they wish, nominees may now proudly display the BPGC badge on their blogs. If any nominees have someone in mind that they’d like to nominate in turn, just be sure to pass this list of rules to the blogs you are tagging.

The participation rules are simple:
1. When you get tagged, write a post with links to up to 5 blogs that you think are trying to change the world in a positive way.
2. In your post, make sure you link back to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme.
3. Leave a comment or message for the bloggers you’re tagging, so they know they’re now part of the meme.
4. Optional: Proudly display the “Bloggers For Positive Global Change” award badge with a link to the post that you write up.

16 comments:

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Congrats Amanda! That is awesome!

Joanna said...

Amanda THANK YOU - I'm overwhelmed, and don't quite know what to say ... but I'm sure I'll think of something. And Charlotte's quite right, of course, about Figs Olives Wine

Keep those posts coming!
Joanna

Barbara said...

Firstly congratulations on your own award Amanda.

Secondly thank you for choosing me. Like Joanna I am overwhelmed. It is indeed an honour to be chosen. Over the next few days I shall be thinking very seriously about my own nominations.

Joanne Rendell said...

congrats again, 'manda. you and your blog deserve it!

Figs Olives Wine said...

Hi Jenn - Thanks so much! I was really so honored that Charlotte thought of Figs Olives Wine.

Hi Joanna - The work you do makes a big difference, and I know it's been a huge comfort to me when I cook for family members who've been ill. Congratulations!

Hello Barbara - and congratulations! You gave food and wine bloggers a way to feel involved and help raise awareness within their own communities. And positive action is very healing! Thanks again for giving me the opportunity to participate in A Taste of Yellow.

Hello Jo - and thanks ;) You're awful nice.

Lucy said...

Indeed, congratulations! A well deserved award. Off to check out who you've awarded.

Well done!

Ilva said...

Congratulations and Thanks a lot, I feel honoured to be nominated by you! And it's a great encouragement to the HotM 'movement'!

Figs Olives Wine said...

Hi Lucy! Thanks so much, and I hope you enjoy the other nominees.

Hello Ilva - Congratulations to you too, and thanks again for organizing HOTM! It's been a real comfort to know it's there.

anna said...

Hello Amanda,

Thanks very much for nominating me for the award. I am struggling to find time to blog at the moment, you your vote of confidence will help inspire me.

Best wishes,

Anna

Calabrisella said...

Auguri!
che buono!
i posted a recipe... on figs (Fichi Ripieni alla Calabrese)...thought you'de enjoy...
Bacioni

Figs Olives Wine said...

Dear Anna,
The most wonderful thing about this is that you can take all the time you need! And frankly, you needn't do anything at all if you don't want to except enjoy the award yourself!
Congratulations again!

Hi Calabrisella! Thanks so much. I'll check out that fig recipe now! Thanks for thinking of me.

Roam To Rome... said...

Auguri!!!! I agree with the nomination, I've read your blog and it follows the true spirit of blogging and does so "for a positive change" which is what's needed and takes a lot of effort and thought from your part!! Congrats!! :)

Figs Olives Wine said...

Roam to Rome, thank you! I was so surprised to be nominated, and I really appreciate your vote of confidence.

Jackie said...

Congrats :)

Figs Olives Wine said...

Thanks Jackie! It was so nice of Charlotte to think of me!

Carolyn said...

Dear Anna,

I just relalized that I have been nominated--better late than never. Thank you so much.

Carolyn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...