Wednesday, August 1, 2007

August's Harvest Calendar


I can’t believe it’s already August, can you? Locally grown and new from the field (rather than the greenhouse) this month are: blackberries, cantaloupes, cauliflower, celery, currants, eggplant, leeks, onions, prunes, turnips, and winter squash.

It’s certainly exciting to see the flavor profile changing over the course of the year, but I can’t help feeling a little sorry to know that we’re already taking a break from peas until their 2nd harvest in September, and that we’re saying goodbye to rhubarb until next May, strawberries until next June, and cherries and raspberries until next July.

Lose strawberries and rhubarb – 2 of my favorite harbingers of the glorious moment when spring remembers summer – while adding prunes, leeks, and winter squash, and we’ve got a completely different flavor profile already. Did I take advantage of raspberries enough this year, I fret? Fortunately, produce doesn’t know what month it is. I already had beautiful field-grown eggplants from Yuno's Farm, and there will still be raspberries for the next fortnight at least – I have it on good authority.

And by the end of this month, the stone fruits will have come to their height, which I can’t wait for. Peaches will be even peachier, and prunes will be at their plummiest. As always, I hope the harvest calendar in the sidebar brings you inspiration as it does me. This calendar is a guide from the CENYC, which runs the Greenmarket & New Farmer Development Project. Happy August!

16 comments:

Joanne Rendell said...

ooh, i just looked at the sidebar list and saw currants! yum. i don't think i've had anything currant-y since the UK...I'm think of garibaldi biscuits. yum. any current currant ideas?!

jan said...

I love when you do this Amanda. It really is so nice to know where we are in the year!

winedeb said...

The bounty is wonderful! Thumbs up for Mother Nature as she gives us such treats! Pumpkins around the corner?

Figs Olives Wine said...

Hi Jo! My only current currant post is that make-your-own Creme de Cassis from July. It'll be ready for its first tasting on August 16th! But I really want to find something else to do while they're in season. I miss them too...I do have ribena if you want...

Hi Jan! I'm so glad you enjoy the harvest calendar! I love how it changes gradually over the months, and I feel sort of bad I didn't do it for July. I think I'll make it a tradition now! Thanks so much!

Hi Winedeb! Isn't it fantastic right now? It's such a great time of the year, and the big harvest months are only just getting going! Our pumpkins are harvested in September and October here, and I can't wait! I'm sure by November 1st you will have reached saturation, as I'm a HUGE fan.

Garrett said...

Lovely picture you took!

Jen said...

What a fabulous blog!!! I found you through Sognatrice from Bleeding Espresso. I enjoy local foods/mediterranean cooking/lifestyle too, although my blog is much more random. I do post recipes from time to time, though, and did this previous Monday.

Figs Olives Wine said...

Hey Garrett! Thanks so much - I'm glad you like!

Hi Jen - Thanks so much for stopping by. I look forward to checkjing out your blog! Don't you love Bleeding Espresso?

Jan said...

That would be great! I'd love to hear what changes each month!

Pille said...

I love those aubergines on your bottom photo - we've only got access to the large dark ones here, and I miss those smaller speciments!

Figs Olives Wine said...

Thanks again Jan!

Hi Pille, They're beautiful all piled up like that aren't they? But I'm with you on this one: I prefer the smaller ones too! I hope you can find some near you soon.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Your blog always makes me smile Amanda! All the pictures of beautiful produce! So wholesome and delicious!

I am finally going to the farmer's market this weekend and I can't wait! It has been too too long! I will think of you as I walk among the stalls!

Figs Olives Wine said...

Jenn - Aren't you nice? Thank you so much! I really can't wait to hear about the market you visit. Take lots of pictures!!

Susan said...

Beautifully said! I too lament the passage of rhubarb and cherries but the recent arrival of figs has cheered me considerably. And just wait until the persimmons arrive; I'll be downright giddy!

Figs Olives Wine said...

Hey Susan! I hear you! I'm always excited for what's coming next while simultaneously sad to see other things finish for the year. It's neverending, but also one of the things I like best about eating seasonally!

sognatrice said...

I thought my ears were ringing for some reason ;) I *love* that photo at the top...so much so that I'm off to eat a plum!

Figs Olives Wine said...

Sognatrice, heehee! Thanks a lot - hope it was a good plum!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...