Wednesday, August 8, 2007

A Rockin' Girl Blogger Shares the Love


Last month, I was honored by kind Jenn over at The Leftover Queen with a nomination as a Rockin’ Girl Blogger. Many thanks to Jenn, whose gift for creating community enriches so much of the food blogging realm – as does her lovely cooking (hello Fresh Fig & Sage Grilled Pizza!)

I’m sure, Jenn, that you’ve been wondering if I’d ever get to this (I also owe her an interview, which I’m still working on, really!) It’s been awfully hard to whittle down all the great girls out there – there are so many female bloggers that I think are pretty darn rockin.’ But here are a few special women whose work I've greatly enjoyed and highly recommend.

Rules I’ve found for this award range from nominating 3 to 5 blogs, so I decided to split the difference. No pressure to nominate anyone yourselves, ladies. We’re all busy, and sometimes it just doesn’t fit into the format of your blog. But I wanted to take the opportunity to say thanks for all the great reads and eats! In alphabetical order by blog title:

Wendy at A Wee Bit of Cooking in Inverness, Scotland -
I admit to a ready soft spot for this fellow Scot – she's not afraid to get good and bruised up at a ceilidh for starters. But following this gifted cook and gardener and warm–hearted dog-lover on her travels around her vegetable patch, Britain, and beyond has become one of my favorite things to do.

Jo at Naptime Writer here in New York City -
Jo’s a close friend of mine, but this nomination isn’t a bit biased. She’s a feminist with her Phd. who embraces her domesticity, gave birth watching the Terminator movies for inspiration, and stays home with her 3-year-old to write kick-ass chick-lit. From the horrors of discovering a toddler practicing tantric sex breathing in public to commentary on the patriarchal influence over romantic comedies in Hollywood, this rockin’ girl’s blog makes for a great read.

Lucy at Nourish Me in Melbourne, Australia -
Lucy’s lovely spirit shines through her poetry, photography, art work, and recipes (anyone for making your own ricotta cheese?) It all makes me suspect there’s nothing she can’t do, and anyone this accomplished is rockin’ in my book.

Aileen at Quixote’s Tart in Alaska -
A flying greenmarket? Check. Tundra-grown cucumbers and sweet turnips grown under the midnight sun? Check. Check. Four years ago, Aileen was living two blocks from Union Square here in New York. Now she’s up in Alaska, and her blog reads like a food-lovers version of Northern Exposure - without the eighties haircuts, that is. Utterly addictive.

Congratulations to all of you, and thanks again to Jenn for the nomination!

13 comments:

Joanne Rendell said...

I'm so honored to be chosen as one of your rockin' gals! thank you, A. you rock too!!

Jan said...

Congratulations Amanda! Well deserved.

Figs Olives Wine said...

Hi Jo! Congratulations again! This should really tart up your cv ;)

Hi Jan! Thanks so much! That's very kind of you to say!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

YAY for Amanda and all the Rockin' Girl Bloggers! Can't wait to check out your nominations, although I am familiar with Wendy's blog, as I quite love it myself!

Wendy said...

Oh my. You are so very very sweet. Thank you for making my day. :)
And as Joanne said, you rock too!

Lucy said...

Well deserved Amanda! Indeed, you do rock and better still, you write with great style and panache. Am floored by your incredibly kind words and humbled by the nomination. Thank you!

Figs Olives Wine said...

Hi Jenn, and thanks again! I'm still so touched that you thought of me. Hope you enjoy my nominees!

Hi Wendy! Thank you kindly and congratulations again! I so enjoy your site, and it's nice to have the chance to say so. Let me know if you post any nominees yourself.

Hi Lucy! Aren't you lovely. It's been so nice to have the opportunity to recognize other people's talents and work. I learn so much from fellow bloggers, and I love your site!

Cynthia said...

Well deserved Amanda. Very well deserved. Congrats hon.

Figs Olives Wine said...

Congrats to you too, Cynthia! And thanks so much.

Jen said...

Congrats and I will certainly check out your picks as well.

Figs Olives Wine said...

Hi Jen, thanks so much! I hope you enjoy the writers/ sites I've nominated as much as I do!

Aileen said...

Oh, goodness! What a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful compliment to discover!

So sorry it took me this long to respond. I've been Outside for a friend's wedding. With those few spare minutes I could have used to sneak away and check email and internet, I'm afraid - no! I'm proud - that I used them instead to be anonymous socially (that urban luxury) in all my old haunts at the Pike Place Market. It was a wonderful weekend - a dear friend marrying a wonderful man, many dear friends celebrating with them, and lots of good wine (from bottles, nonetheless!). There was also witty banter, more than a yeoman's share of Macrina Bakery and pate, and cheese. Oh! such cheese!

Who would have guessed that the dessert after such decadence would come upon return to Alaska! I can't thank you enough for welcoming me back to my tundra island with such fine and eloquent compliments!

p.s. I dreamed of being a chef whilst living 2 blocks from the Greenmarket. Indeed, I pined for such a profession. Occassionally, I even snuck away to practice in my little kitchen. But I was actually a stressed-out, mostly dine-out, finance lawyer who relied heavily on those daily doses of the Union Square Greenmarket to remind myself that Life could - and should - be more than what I was permitting myself. Thankyou for calling me a "chef" even though I I didn't cook much or for many during those years, because it's most certainly true that the meals I cooked in Manhattan (albeit, few) may be some of my most memorable meals. Oh, and just generally and again, thankyou for the fine compliments about me and the tundra island!

Figs Olives Wine said...

Aileen, I thought you were a chef. Somehow I got that impression, but it doesn't affect how much I enjoy your site either way! Congratulations again on the nomination!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...