Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Wild Mushrooms with Sherry, Shallots, & Parsley - Setas


Setas, or wild mushrooms, are a tapas bar classic in Spain. The term refers to any mushrooms other than the cultivated white champiñón, and you should feel free to use whichever varieties look and smell the most fresh right now where you live. The dish has infinite possibilities depending on the time of year, and our markets here in New York still offer plenty of choices. This time I've used a mixture of oyster, shitake, and hen of the woods.

During wild mushroom season in Spain, setas would typically be prepared with cured ham, but I often omit the meat to keep the flavor lighter and cleaner. The shallots, garlic, sherry, and lemon meld to form an incredibly bright, earthy tang, making this one of my favorite cool weather tapas dishes. And setas also make a fantastic light supper over some toasted bread - especially paired with a glass of crisp white wine or fino.

Charlotte of The Great Big Vegetable Challenge is working on Q is for the Quick Vegetable Quest right now, and these are my contribution to the cause. If you visit her site, you'll find a list of vegetable recipes that take ten minutes or less to prepare. I clocked these setas at 9 minutes, by the way. Charlotte was just nominated for Best Food Blog (Family & Kids) by the Well Fed Network’s 2007 Food Blog Awards judges. Stop by to vote for all your favorite food blogs as often as you like anytime before 11:59pm on December 14th. Congratulations and best of luck to Charlotte and to all the other nominees.


Serves 6 as tapas

extra virgin olive oil
2 shallots, minced
kosher salt
1 clove garlic, minced
6 cups assorted mushrooms, brushed clean and torn into bite-size pieces
1/2 cup dry sherry
juice of one lemon
handful of parsley, roughly chopped
freshly ground black pepper
toasted or grilled bread for serving (optional)

Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add a glug of olive oil and the shallots. Sprinkle with salt and sauté until transluscent. Add the garlic and sauté, stirring often, for one more minute, Toss in the mushrooms and sprinkle with more salt to release their liquids. Sauté the mixture for 5 more minutes.

Remove the pan from the heat and add the sherry. Return to a high heat and cook until the liquid is gone. Toss in the lemon juice and parsley and sauté one minute more until the mushrooms begin to caramelize. Adjust the seasoning with more salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.

36 comments:

Lucy said...

Gorgoeus AND quick Amanda.

Never knowingly seen a 'hen of the wods' 'shroom - will check them out!

Christina said...

I can never get enough mushrooms. YUM!

Figs Olives Wine said...

Lucy, thank you my dear! They're in little clumps, all attached at the bottom. Maybe they're supposed to look like a little group of chickens walking around together?

Christina, me too! I think I could have these 3 meals a day - one of my absolute favorite things. Hope you enjoy!

Anh said...

Lovely! I have never met anyone who doesn't like muhsrooms. This dish is defenitely a winner.

Charlotte Hume said...

Great quick recipe which we will try out - will be linking to this wonderful post when I return to my own computer later today.
Thank yo uso much for mentioning the Well Fed vote - much appreciated!

Figs Olives Wine said...

Anh, thank you! I'm so pleased you like - I'm actually wishing I had some more now!

Charlotte, wonderful! Thanks so much and congratulations again! It's very well deserved!

Joanne Rendell said...

I adore setas! They are so incredible. My mum goes seta picking every year. Apparently, only the trained eye finds them eaasy to find...

Patricia Scarpin said...

Amanda,
I friend of mine went to a tapas bar last week and she absolutely loved it!
I have thought of tapas ever since she told me that - and now, with your recipe on my mind as well, I'll have to try tapas soon!

Wendy said...

I was sold at "bright, earthy tang"! :)

Anonymous said...

this looks amazing. thanks.

Figs Olives Wine said...

Jo, your mum's got the best life! I'll bet they're tough to forage. You have to learn how to do it and teach me!

Patricia, tapas are such a fantastic culinary tradition - I just know you'd love them. There are a bunch of recipes on the Figs Olives Wine Recipe List. Let me know if you give it a go. I'd love to hear what you try!

Wendy, thank you! Now I'm thinking about them all over again. It's 10:20 though - a bit late to whip up a batch...

Anonymous, thanks so much! So pleased you like.

Maryann said...

ooo..I guess my comment didn't register. I love these mushrooms and make something quite similar.
You should have been nominated for best new food blog..really. I lost an ounce of respect when I didn't see your blog on the list. Go figure.

Rose said...

I was just just by the picture, but when I read the recipe...ahhhh! I wish I were Spain right now!

Figs Olives Wine said...

Maryann, you are so kind to tell me that! It's really so nice to hear you feel that way. Thanks. xo

Rose, me too! So glad you like.

David Hall said...

Utterly delicious - as always!

Cheers
David

Mercedes said...

I'm now dreaming of chanterelle mushrooms (insert dramatic sigh here). Just the time of year for those good quick recipes, too.

Terry B said...

Mushrooms are just nice to cook with, even the white cultivated ones. The other night, we needed to eat a quick dinner before heading out to run errands. I sautéed some white mushrooms in canola oil and a little butter, then poured some beaten eggs over them and added some shredded extra sharp cheddar. So simple, such humble ingredients. And so delicious.

Figs Olives Wine said...

David, thanks. I have to agree with you here - these mushrooms just sell themselves!

Mercedes, ahhh chanterelles... They really do announce the fall in the most delicious way! Miss them now too! Or maybe you can still get them down there?

Terry,so simple and so delicious! The cheddar's a great touch this time of year - sounds absolutely divine! Thanks for sharing!

Sarah McColl said...

This looks and sounds fabulous -- I really love your blog so much!

Figs Olives Wine said...

Sarah, it's great to hear from you! I'm so pleased you like the soup AND the site! Let me know if you have the chance to cook up a batch. Especially if you chance upon a truffle to shave over the whole thing! mmmmmmm

swirlingnotions said...

Love this! I've been really into the open-faced-sandwich-as-dinner concept lately, although mainly focusing on sauteed greens. This will be my next endeavor. And there's a gorgeous selection of locally scavanged mushrooms at the market right now . . . yea!

Katy said...

oh my gosh, this look so SO SO yummy!

seta said...

i always get a kick out of seeing my name on menus and recipes!! this one sounds especially appetizing but i hope you'll forgive me for referring to them as champignones as opposed to setas though...sounds kinda creepy to read "seta picking" :)

joe@italyville.com said...

looks yummy! going to have to try it. We go mushroom hunting in the fall and find some great hen of the woods. Although most of our friends think we're CrAzY! thanks.

Kathleen Lisson, CSW said...

I love this recipe and your blog. I will link to the recipe on my blog soon. Have you tried a glass of Pinot Noir with this dish? Would a Spanish Rioja work better?
Kathleen

mollycal said...

This looks beautiful. I love mushrooms, and I've never made setas--I can't wait to try!

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

There must be a way to find wild mushrooms here in Marrakech!!! There must be somewhere I can pick them!

Jenise said...

Absolutely fabulous and lovely. Thanks!

Tina said...

Looks so delicious! z

culinarytravelsofakitchengoddess said...

Looks so good, absolutely wonderful fresh food.

What a lovely blog you have here, I'll be adding you to my blogroll.

joe@italyville said...

that recipe looks delicious.. I'm huge fan of wild mushrooms. We head out in the fall for Hen and chicken of the woods. Thanks for the recipe and love your blog!

maggie said...

Oh, yum. Wild mushrooms are such a treat.

Amy Jemima said...

Wow - that looks amazing!

Gordy said...

Mushrooms are so awesome... the recipe looks great. Looking forward to try it out. Mediterranean at it's best.

Yvonne said...

Wonderful recipe. Healthy and it tastes very good Thanks for sharing

sherry wine club said...

I like mushroom, specially wild mushroom. yummy treat. Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...