Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The March Harvest Calendar


Now let's not get ahead of ourselves.



It isn't spring. Let's just take that off the table from the outset. Positively nothing has changed since February, I assure you.



Only suddenly there seems to be a lot more color.

From the greenhouses.






From cold storage.






Maybe I just didn't see it before.




Or maybe it's all the rain.






But it definitely isn’t spring. For one thing the crops are still decidedly late winter. Shell beans, cabbage, carrots, onions, parsnips, potatoes, and apples make up the last remnants of the field harvest. Even decent pears are pretty thin on the ground at this point. There is absolutely nothing new to eat. And it's still cold. Until I saw those tulips, we were half-heartedly tossing around the idea of a second cassoulet party.




I love the winter. I can even cozy up to the monotony of the food this late in the season. But how can you not prick up your ears at a sight like this?




As always, crop information is available in the sidebar harvest calendar over there on the right all month. The information comes from a guide published by the CENYC, which runs the Greenmarket & New Farmer Development Project. To locate markets near you in the US, check the Zip or City Quick Search at Local Harvest.

Happy winter and happy March!


17 comments:

Jan said...

Those leeks are beautiful!

tribecachef said...

Just sourced some seriously nice smallage seed. Come on spring! I'm loving that baby lacinato you shot.

Jenn @leftoverqueen said...

Such lovely photos! I know how you feel, we had a 55 degree day about 2 weeks ago, and as much as I love winter, it started a bit of spring fever in me!

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Jan, thank you! Great to hear from you!

Tribecachef, lovely! I want some once it's grown!!!

Jenn, thank you! And yes, that's exactly what I mean. I'm not quite ready to get out of hibernation position, but nature is definitely coaxing me along a bit in spite of myself.

Patricia Scarpin said...

I love how colorful these photos are! So beautiful, Amanda!

Toffeeapple said...

A lovely colourful post Amanda. I'm loving the Tulips at the moment, especially when they are starting to die.

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Patricia, thank you my dear! It really is perking up out there : )

Toffeeapple, I know just what you mean! I had a large number of parrot tulips packed quite tightly into a vase. They were so fresh that they actually grew quite a bit in there (!) and then they all keeled over and started to die. They were just incredibly beautiful. I wish I'd gotten some photos...

Lucy said...

Soon enough things will burst forth like mad!

Great photos - my faves are the moving feet and the red-stemmed chard.

Hang tight - not long now...X

Anonymous said...

Spring's almost here! Don't lose hope!
Jenny

Cynthia said...

This posts reminds me of how much I missed when you were not around.

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Lucy, the vote of confidence is fortifying thank you. March can be quite a test of wits. It is so ridiculously cold today, I really can't even describe it. xo

Jenny, what a difference a month will make! (Let's hope anyway)

Cynthia, well I'm so happy to be back. Thanks for such a lovely message xo

simpledaisy said...

Wow....your photographs are just beautiful! I know nothing has changed since February....but it sure is nice to dream:)

David Hall said...

Hey stranger! Great to see you blogging again, what happened? Hope life is sweet.

Cheers
David x

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Simpledaisy, thank you! I'm so pleased you like. It won't be long now, though today is spectacularly cold here.

David!!! Good to hear from you. I know that was quite a break I took. I was in baby land. It was fun, but I'm enjoying being back to work at a slightly more sedate pace than before, at least sedate for now. xo

FoodiesHeaven said...

Id love spring to show its head and the rain to stop so i can get on and get planting, then along comes jack frost to remind us that alas spring is not here yet, great pictures and good read.

Barbara said...

Beautiful photos Amanda. I adore tulips.

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

FoodiesHeaven, it always seems to have a few false starts and then go back to frost. Hope you're planting soon - I'd love to hear. I live vicariously through everybody I know with a garden.

Barbara, thank you, me too! Actually all spring flowers. Particularly parrot tulips, hyacinths, lilacs, & lily of the valley. So pretty.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...