Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The May Harvest Calendar



It's still peaceful.




Don't get me wrong, the greenmarket's been crowded for a week or so already. But the crops, the flavors are still quiet.




Quince blossoms smell like a garden after the rain.




And the harvest has finally begun now too. Fresh, fragrant baby lettuces. Earthily green asparagus, though there will be far more later into the season.




Right now most farmers are getting about a harvest a week, but, as the weather warms and spears grow up to 10 inches a day, an asparagus field might be harvested every 24 hours.

And there are emerald scallions, still young and mild enough to touch to the grill and toss in vinaigrette.




The ramps are suddenly at their height, piled in great velvety heaps that sell all day.




And a few stalks of rhubarb have appeared. Jade.




And blushing into rose too.




Plus some hints of heat and color and things to come.




The field radishes have started to pop up, though not in as much varied abundance as they will be in another week or two.




The world is awash in green.




Also coming into their own right now are beet and turnip greens, mesclun, parnips, spinach and summer squash. And as always from cold storage, we have last year's shell beans, onions, potatoes and apples. The potatoes are wilted but still roast up decently, though I haven't had a respectable apple in months now. And you know my feelings on those old onions. I stick to the scallions, the ramps and the chives in May.




Crop notes are available in the sidebar harvest calendar over there on the right all month. The information comes from a guide published by the CENYC, which runs the Greenmarket & New Farmer Development Project. To familiarize yourself with what's in season where you live, I advise a visit to your own farmer's markets at least every couple of weeks. And ask lots of questions – no one knows which crops are at their peak quite like the people who grow them. To locate markets near you in the US, check the Zip or City Quick Search at Local Harvest.

Happy spring and happy May!



18 comments:

Sylvia said...

Love May and September and also love green. What a beautiful walk, it all looks very fresh and cute

Lorenna said...

Such beautiful round up this month Amanda!

Barbara said...

Gorgeous photos. Love the asparagus. Quince are in season here right now.

Chez Loulou said...

Were inundated with asparagus and strawberries right now, so I'm a very happy girl. Would love to get a hold of some ramps. Never seen them here.
Happy May!

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Sylvia, thank you and me too! I think May might be my favorite of all.

Lorenna, thank you!

Barbara, thanks! Isn't that amazing you've got quince now? Well it never ceases to amaze me anyway :)

Loulou, no strawberries for us yet! I can't wait though. The ramps are really at their height though. I'm heading to the market in a few actually. Look for Fed Ex tomorrow : )

Joanne Rendell said...

You make me want to head up to Union Square and the market this minute! Gorgeous.

Molly said...

Gorgeous photos. The farmers' markets around here won't open for a few more week, so I'll guess I'll have to live vicariously through your sumptuous pictures. Thanks!

Gloria said...

What adorable pictures dear Amanda! I love all ! Are really spring and lovely! gloria

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Jo, thank you!! We're waiting for you!

Molly, the waiting can seem eternal, can't it? And thank you.

Gloria, thank you my dear! Spring is my favorite.

Paul Wright said...

Some really nice shots there. I hope you're enjoying your spring.

Jacque B. said...

I think the scallions are my favorite.

Mary said...

I loved this post. I am new to your blog but have been charmed by the work you have done here. Your blog is a visual delight and I love the food and recipes you feature for your readers. I definitely will be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Lucy said...

quince blossoms! absolutely determined to plant a few trees in winter. such a beautiful shade of pink.

been so busy...will properly peruse things when i can stop to take in a deep breath and read your words.

Sarah said...

So thankful for the May harvest. The ramps, asparagus, and the(mild right now) turnip greens were the highlight of my week.

Jenn @leftoverqueen said...

So beautiful! Everything looks so beautiful and tasty!

Farmgirl Susan said...

Gorgeous! I love your harvest calendar posts. Beautiful photos as always. I'll have some of everything, please - and a triple helping of asparagus! xoxo

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Paul, thank you! It’s so lovely to finally have it here.

Jacque B, I’m actually working n something fun with them now. Stay tuned…

Mary, how lovely of you to say so, thank you! I look forward to checking out your site too! It looks fantastic. Warm wishes, Amanda

Lucy, I am working on something right now that sorely calls for your new oven my dear. What to do? That collaboration may be an even better idea than we thought…

Sarah, isn’t it heavenly? I’m glad you’re enjoying as much as I am.

Jenn, thank you!!! I think it’s my favorite time of year.

Susan, I may or may not have gotten carried away and have a fridge FULL of asparagus right now. Ideas please!!! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...