Monday, May 16, 2011

Things I Love



The Avenue. Early, empty on the way to the Saturday market. No memory of the chill. But no scent of heat yet either.

And the first day each spring of River Garden's lily of the valley crop. It's my favorite moment of May.




How lily of the valley always, like clockwork, seems to mean that the French breakfast radishes are ready too - mild, crisp and tipped with white.




And how they feel like a feast with fresh butter, fleur de sel and a floral glass of rosé.




Sharing them with my fellow radish addict and oldest friend in New York, Georg, whom I met here when we were very young indeed.




And the way my small daughter adores Georg just as much as I always have. We haven't sold her on the radishes yet though.


15 comments:

Nisrine Merzouki said...

I don't think I've ever seen radishes shaped like this. I bet they taste good.

Sally said...

It looks like a warm, friendly time Amanda.

Toffeeapple said...

French Breakfast radishes are superb but I can't do the butter thing with them, just the salt - especially Sel du Mer.

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Nisrine, they're different. They're milder - very refreshing - which is maybe why they're called "breakfast."

Sally, thank you, it was fun afternoon.

Toffeeapple, I wish I had that problem : )

tribecachef said...

It's rose time!!

Sarah said...

That truly looks like a classy, elegant, and lovely way to pass the afternoon.

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Tribecachef, indeed it is!

Sarah, thank you, we had fun!

Gloria said...

Lovely pictures Amanda and lovely you have a little daugther my kids are so big, the twins have 16!! and this age you know!!
Amanda I would love know some day New York!! is n ice, xx gloria

Jenn @leftoverqueen said...

Those radishes look gorgeous!

Natasha G said...

I like that he's playing her guitar. Great overhead shots

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Gloria, Thank you! I can't believe you have 16 year olds! I'll bet they're still cute though. Come get to know NY whenever you want! I'd love to see you!! xx

Jenn, I agree! It's particularly pretty once those French breakfasts arrive.

Natasha, he is particularly musical! He actually played trumpet at my wedding, but he plays a mean ukelele too : )

Cynthia said...

I don't have to say much. You know how I feel about your post collections, they are poetry.

Thank you so much for stopping by and offering words of comfort. It means a lot. Thank you.

Sylvia said...

Wonderful scenes, Amanda

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Cynthia, thank you so much, and of course. You've been in my thoughts.

Sylvia, I'm so glad you like. Thank you.

Warda said...

Lovely photos and atmosphere, from the radishes to your little princess :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...